Monday 5 October 2009

Isis - Mother of the Gods

This piece was made for a beading challenge on the Beading Forum, with the theme "Jewel of the Nile".

I drew my inspiration from two sources ...

1. Crescent Moon ... Among the most powerful of all lucky symbols, the crescent is especially lucky for young children and their mothers.In ancient Egypt, the crescent moon was the symbol of Isis, the Mother of the Gods. As the Queen of Egypt, Isis was the protector of motherhood, women, and healer of the sick. She also rules magic.

2. The Menat ... This symbol represents a heavy beaded necklace with a crescent shaped front and a counter piece at the rear. It was a symbol associated with the goddess, Hathor and her son, Ihy. In fact, Hathor was known as the "Great Menat". Hathor used the Menat as a conduit, through which she passes her power. It was representative of joy, life, potency, fertility, birth, and rebirth

I made my piece in the crescent shape, but instead of having the counterweight at the back, I brought it to the front. Love my Egyptian brass components :). Anyway, I used size 11 Slate Blue and size 15 24ct gold seedies .... I never want to see another size 15 seedie again - LOL!!!! I'm going to add in a fringe at some stage - but as I was working to a deadline I unfortunately ran out of time before this could be done.

Isis - Mother of the Gods







2 comments:

Caitie said...

Hi Maryanne, Caitie here (not sure if you remember me - I worked at CU&N with you...). Just stumbled across an old email from you and thought I'd stop by and say hello.
Ciao.

Maryanne said...

Of course I remember you!!! You still in Mackay? Coz I had this idea that you'd moved away. Anyway, good to hear from you.
cheers
Maryanne